To the rest of the ultimate world, Harvest 2020 was unfortunately postponed. Leave it to the defending 2019 Champs, Pax 6 to come up with some fun and creative ways to keep Harvest in their hearts.
Harvest 2020: v.Pax6 was held.
New venue: Ottawa (don’t worry, it won’t stay there.)
Weather: Perfect, by tradition. (It was a glorious weekend)
New TDs: Laura Chambers Davidson and Justine Price (Was vacant…want to continue…;) )
Blessed, in person, by The Godfather, CamTaylor (But of course he was!)
Teams: Pax Six: Mendoza Line, Cam and Suzanne, Kyle Hunter (keeping in Covid number limit). No RV this year.
1. Due to win last year, everyone had a bye first round, so games started at 1pm, very civilized. Several games of Covid Friendly team frisbee, involving knocking down cones,running, shenanigans, rules, and therefore discussion, oohs, aahs. Mark Mc unable to attend so we had to make do with last years t-shirts and were the Mendoza Line for a second year. As Kyle Hunter arrived, he sighed as he saw “all those yellow shirts that beat us in finals last year”, second sigh.
Finals: Pax Six Yellow, Mendoza Line vs. Pax Six various dark shirts.
Winners: Pax Six yellow, The Mendoza Line
2. MTA with the usual line of cheering sideline plus a family stopped to watch and the kids jumped up and down and cheered. Egos were inflated, hearts were broken, a roller coaster of emotion and drama. Cam Taylor assumed his traditional sideline spot sprawled on the grass, heckled and waxed philosophic by turns. Nothing changes.
1st: Al Colantonio 8:19
2nd and defending 2019 champion Chris Keates 7:50
3rd Kyle Hunter 7:36
Challenge: Can any PUL player beat the posted MTA?
3. The Harvest Meal: Soup and bread and wine, bring your own due to Covid so lots of soup being made all over town in the morning. Stacey and LP brought the traditional pickled beets and pickles. (Mmmm, soup…bread…pickled yumminess)
4. Braggarts bushel awarded, consisted of the entirety of my garden harvest for the year: two tomatoes. (You win for being most-spirited player, hands down!)
5. Sitting in lawn chairs and playing lawn games as the sun went down, in sweats and hoodies with wine, and G & Ts.
6. MVP awarded. By unanimous acclaim, 2020 MVP was once again Andrew Carroll. As in 2019, awarded for not showing up and giving everyone else a shot. Bravo, sir, well played.
7. Lost and found, posted and claimed. (That’s an impressive feat, no doubt.)
Still the best tournament. Thanks, PUL, we miss you obviously.
Till next year, y’all.
Justine Price and Laura Chambers Davidson, Pax Six
And thanks to Justine and Laura for putting smiles on all our faces.